Cleaning: Scent of an Apartment

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Something smells fishy..."

I hate cooking fish at home. The whole house ends up smelling like fish after. I bet the neighbors know what we are having for dinner tonight. Well, they can't complain because I can also smell their adobo and tuyo.

In addition to our rangehood, we also have an exhaust fan in our kitchen. For additional support, we open the windows and turn on the electric fan when we're cooking. However, these are still not enough to remove the smell in the kitchen.

I searched high and low for tips on removing kitchen odors. I compiled the ones that worked for me. Now, no more lingering bad smell around the house. Here are some of the tips I tried and tes
ted --

Tip 1: Boil vinegar in a pot.

I tried this. It works! Boil around 1/4 cup of vinegar in a small pot (correction! 1/4 cup vinegar and 2 cups of water). It miraculously absorbed the fish smell. Just remember to turn off the heat after it boils. If you let it boil for a long time, your house will smell like vinegar. I made this mistake and our kitchen ended up smelling like paksiw for a few minutes. But don't worry. The smell eventually
fades and you will be left with a scent-free kitchen.

Tip 2: Scented Oil/Candle

This is a good way to make your kitchen smell nice. I switched to orange essential oils. The lavender oil makes the kitchen and dining area smell like a spa. Not very appetizing. (Light the oil/candle after you boil the vinegar)

Tip 3: Bamboo Aroma Diffuser

I was a bit skeptical at first with this one but it works. It does not emit any kind of scent but it absorbs the bad kitchen smell.

Tip 4: Air Purifier

It emits a subtle scent, depending on the oil you put in the water. I don't know how well it will work without the other stuff I use. It might not remove that kitchen smell but it is effective in taking out that musty humid smell around the house.

Tip 5: Fry fish in Crisco (untested)

Anyone there who already tested this tip?

1 comments:

Mrs. G said...

Sorry. I forgot to type "2 cups of water". I haven't tried boiling pure vinegar.

 
ss_blog_claim=67018f3de1a8852768510c0d42841a05 ss_blog_claim=67018f3de1a8852768510c0d42841a05